Lives of Great Men of the World (3)
Canvas, oil paint, oil pastel, self made picture frame, bibliography panel, research file
This work was exhibited at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum as my graduation project. You could say it portrays a problem that not only my own family confronts, but one that all of Japanese society faces. This piece was featured in an article for the weekly magazine Shukan Gendai. About 80% of the article is what I actually said to the reporter, so I don't think I need to explain too much about it here (the other 20%, though, is all lies and complaints).
At the exhibition, many people gathered in front of this work. Some people laughed, others bowed and prayed, while others whispered to each other. It was quite a unique atmosphere. This work led me to contemplate the significance of artists engaging with social issues.
Incidentally, this piece was highly praised by Prof. Masato Nakamura and Prof. Koji Kinutani, but the University turned a total deaf ear to it (not to mention some of the professors who were avid believers…)